Author Topic: Nav desk bulkhead?  (Read 1402 times)

RHoodJr

• View Profile
Nav desk bulkhead?
« on: July 04, 2014, 04:42:55 PM »
I'm not sure what the proper description is but, does anyone know how much space, if any, is behind the bulkhead that is above and forward of the nav desk?  It is finished and shares the cockpit seat back area.

I was thinking of adding some additional aft stateroom switch panel and am not sure I can use the area with out building that surface out.

Thanks.

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Nav desk bulkhead?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Richard,
Happy Independence Day...
If you have a W/O 44, unscrew and remove the stb combing box and you will see a ton of usable space.
It is also possible to access this space from the lazarette, if you are a skinny midget and crawl can in.
Jules

RHoodJr

• View Profile
Nav desk bulkhead?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
Thanks Jules, but I was wondering about the surface just to the right of the companionway as you exit the aft cabin.  This area is a bit closer I think, then the area you are describing.

Yes it is a 44 W/O

Brett

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: 1979 CSY 44' WO
  • Boat Name: Kitty Hawk
Nav desk bulkhead?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Richard,
That is exactly where our 12v aft panel and a 12v power plug are located.  Ours is low under the ledge of the bulkhead there, so maybe we have more internal space behind the bulkhead there than some.  I can't imagine it was modified much since it is still the original wood grain Formica above and below.  Hope that helps....

Jules Shockley

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Dragon Lady
Nav desk bulkhead?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:57 PM »
Richard,
I know the space you are referring to, now. There appears to be 4 inches or so of dead space behind the bulkhead as the PO of my boat installed a rocker switch panel in that area. Grab a jig saw and go for it!
There's always glass and resin if you don't like the result.
Jules