Author Topic: Walkthrough Main Cabin Windows  (Read 2088 times)

Amata Marie

• View Profile
Walkthrough Main Cabin Windows
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:45:44 PM »
Dave;
the big windows in the Walk thru main cabin, what did you do and use when you up-graded them, mine are so crazed that you can't see out of them much anymore.  this is another thing I want to fix this summer when it's in the yard.
Jim Guthormsen
s/v Amata Marie

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »
Hi Jim,

Fortunately for you we are in a weather hold here, otherwise, we wouldn't have time / internet access to answer you.

Dave outlined what he did on Soggy Paws here:

http://www.svsoggypaws.com/deck.htm#main%20cabin%20windows

We started out replacing our windows with 1/2" Lexan MR10.  Then Dave was worried that they wouldn't be strong enough in a big storm, so he added another layer of 3/8 Lexan on the inside.  The old windows were flush with the fiberglass, and the inside and outside trim rings were what was holding them in place (plus some sealant).  Dave's installation made the window 2" bigger all around, so they are overlapped with the fiberglass by 2", both inside and outside, and through-bolted all the way through.  (There are pictures on the website).  This may be overkill, but you sure sleep well at night when you have a storm barreling down on you!  

The MR10 is specially formulated with a scratch-proof finish on the outside.  Our windows are now about 12 years old and they are in great shape--still clear and built to withstand a hurricane  B) We had an annoying drip at the aft lower corner, but Dave resealed the outer pane in Ecuador in 2009, and we haven't leaked a drop (from the main cabin windows) since.

We used smoked Lexan for our windows, and it helps a lot to keep the sun out.  But we have also made open-weave Textaline covers for them, which are spot glued with a hot-melt glue gun, on the outside of the metal frame.  Once a year we inspect to see where the glue is lifting, and re-spot (much easier than snaps, etc).

BTW, summertime in Florida is a TERRIBLE time to be working on the boat.  Hope you have a good awning and a good A/C.
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Amata Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 07:17:30 PM »
yes it is Hot in the Keys in the summer time, but I don't thnk I will be taking it north for the summer to work on it.
thanks for the iformation, and I will get on the link. to see the total information.
One other question, since I know Dave overhauled his 4-154 engine, how did you get it on or off the boat, or better question out of the engine room?  In pieces, or a s whole engine?  Looks like we are going to re-power with the Beta 60 and it weighs about the same as the perkins 4-154 does.  It almost make me wish I had athe walk over model with the nice access hatch in the cockpit. (Almost)
Jim Guthormsen

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 04:12:55 AM »
Jim,

Actually, I started the window project with 3/8" polycarbonate/Lexan on the outside but thru bolted thru the cabin side instead of the butt joint original.  After living with it awhile and then reading about the need for storm shutters at sea I decided to upgrade to permanent storm shutters with the 1/2" MR10.  Therefore no need to do anything when the storm comes.  I had no use for the old 3/8" windows so just put them inside.

It is a big but important project.  Make sure it is a dry week when you start it.

I will reply to your engine removal question over in the engine section.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Amata Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
Dave;
Where did you get the MR10 1/2" material, South Florida I hope.

Jim Guthormsen
S/V Amata Marie

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 02:57:14 AM »
Jim,

Got the MR10 from a big plastics distributor in Clearwater.  They are just 2 blocks south of SR 688 about 4 miles West from I275.  I don't remember the name but you should be able to find it from several plastics dealers in S Fla.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Amata Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:48:20 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Warren Daniels

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Sea Notes
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:08:13 PM »
James,
Most likely Sabic plastics or Alro metals,  don't let that throw you, they have a very large plastic division there in Clearwater.