Author Topic: re-power using a Beta 60 engine  (Read 1189 times)

Amata Marie

• View Profile
re-power using a Beta 60 engine
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
Has anyone installed a Beta 60 in their CSY 44 WT boats?  I would like to hear from anyone about doing a re-power with a Beta or a Yanmar.  I'm going to be replacing my 4-154 engine.  The WT models seem to be a lot harder to do a re-power on.
Jim Guthormsen
S/V Amata Marie
44 WT #34

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »
Jim, your question below:

"One other question, since I know Dave overhauled his 4-154 engine, how did you get it on or off the boat, or better question out of the engine room? In pieces, or a s whole engine? Looks like we are going to re-power with the Beta 60 and it weighs about the same as the perkins 4-154 does. It almost make me wish I had athe walk over model with the nice access hatch in the cockpit. (Almost)
Jim Guthormsen"

Good question, and it wasn't easy.  I had help from Jim Dill who has overhauled multiple boats and was real handy at rigging.  

First I spent a couple of days removing external parts to get the engine down to less than 20" wide, the width of the Eroom door opening w/o the door.  We also removed the transmission using a chain hoist off a 4x4 over it and then the main halyard to get it out of the engine room.  A half day job.  

Then we built a fore and aft A frame of 4x4s over the engine and rigged the chain hoist down to it from the top bar.  If you get the top bar of the A frame way up in the overhead once you lift the engine off its beds you can swing it onto the aluminum workshop deck.  From there we rerigged the A Frame through the Eroom door and sort of slid and lifted it through the door on a piece of plywood up the two floor steps.  Then we rerigged the A frame across the main cabin w/o the companionway steps in place and moved the engine centerline in the main cabin so it could be lifted out by a crane (or the boom).

Some notes on the removal, overhaul, modifications I made and pics are on our website under Workshop/Engine.  You will have fun doing this project.  Allow yourself a week to get it all done.  And then probably another week or more to get the new engine in and set up.  And have at least $15 K in your pocket ready to give away.

Are you sure you want to repower just because you have an oil leak?  It is probably the rear main seal that you can replace in a day by yourself for about $30.  Or hire a mechanic to take the tmission in and out for a couple hundred dollars.  If done right it will last for about 4-5 years.  Marc at Complete Yacht will install the seal in the aluminum housing for you for free.  I have done mine 3 times in 15 years.  We now have almost 7000 hours on our rebuild I did in 1997.

Good luck.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Amata Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:29:59 AM »
Dave, if you are still in Internet land, I have another question, I'm still in Salt Lake City right now, and I was trying to remember which way the perkins engine rotates the prop shaft.  When looking at the transmission end is it turning the shaft clockwise, or counter clockwise.  I ask this since I can not actually turn mine right now being across the country from it.  I have to make sure that the props I have are going to work with the new Beta engine I am going it seems to be installing.
also did you put your perkins in like you took it out a little at a time, since it had to go through the engine room door?
I'm already getting people who own 4-154 engines asking me about parts from the engine.  My problem is I don't know what good used parts or a whole engine that runs is worth.
any idea on how to price it either in pieces or as a whole engine?  (of course it will be in pieces as it gets taken out of the boat)
Thanks
Jim Guthormsen
S/V Amata Marie
CSY 44 WT #34