Author Topic: Perkins 4-154  (Read 8415 times)

Ed & Yvonne Morris 44 wo #158

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« on: December 03, 2013, 06:57:41 AM »
Just pulled my engine to do the rear main seal. My manual says the I.D number is on the block
next to the lift pump , but I dont see a number there. Have an XA 4-154 on the head but cant find any more than that......Ed

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
Hi Ed,

Do you have an old style, North American, Perkins 4154 built before 1980 or the new style, Japanese, built after 1980?  My old style has the serial number near the fuel injection pump on the port side if the engine is installed without a V drive.  It has been a long time since I looked at it and we are not on the boat now, so maybe someone on a boat with your engine can give you the exact location.

If your boat has the rope rear main seal be very careful installing it or it will leak.  I finally had to take the aluminum housing for the seal to Complete Yachts in Ft Lauderdale to have Mark show me exactly how to install it.  Also, while you are in there have a good look at your pressure/damper plate.  If it has been more than about 5 years since it was replaced you might think about replacing it and keeping the old one for a spare.  If there are any loose springs replace it.

Dave
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 06:30:25 AM »
Found it ,it was near the injection pump.thanks Dave

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:17 AM »
Looks like I have a cracked head , have anti freeze in my # 3 cyl.
trying to source a head for the ol iron genny. if yall know of one pls let me know ....Ed

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:56:29 AM »
Ed,

You may more likely have a blown head gasket.  I suggest you remove the cylinder head and have a good look at the gasket before buying a new head.

Sources for new and used Perkins parts are on our website at:

http://www.svsoggypaws.com/workshop_links.htm#engines_transimissions_props

Dave

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Chilly Pepper
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:32:41 PM »
Hi Ed.  
I agree with Dave that the head gasket is the most likely scenario especially if there were any recent overheating incidents or if the head has not been re-torqued in several years.
Matthew

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:43:29 AM »
Head gasket looks good, no spots of intrusion from the water jackets.
The PO said he had the the head welded due to a crack around the Injector boss on the third hole.
good news though ,found a complete rebuild kit. from a Massey Ferguson dealer
for 700$ including a new crank. just need to find a head!

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 11:07:01 AM »
Hi Ed,

The info on obtaining a rebuild kit from Massey Furguson for the Perkins 4154 would be very useful for us other 4154 owners.  Can you elaborate for us with contact phone/email and a list of what the rebuild kit includes for $700?

Also, which model/year of Perkins 4154 do you have?

Re your cracked head it is not easy to repair and just welding it up won't do it.  There is an outfit in CA that specializes in that type of work though.  You might Google 'cracked head repair' to find them.  

Did you see the post on Perkins engines for sale?  Maybe he has spare head.  If not check the sources I mentioned in an earlier post.

Dave

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:39 AM »
weld the head, that is what the PO did and it clearly didnt last.
trying to find a good head. As for the rebuild kit ,I will post the info
still making sure its the right one...Ed

Amata Marie

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »
Ed, this is Jim Guthormsen on the Amata Marie here in Tavernier, FL.  I'm seriously thinking about doing a re-power, due to the oil leak I have and that the engine is getting old, re-built once by the previous owner about 12 years ago.  So you are pulling your engine, are you doing this yourself, or do you have a mechanic who is going to do this for you?  Keys mechanics (good ones) seem to be few and far between.  Do you have any recomendations?
I could probably do a re-build a lot cheaper than installing a new Yanmar or Beta in the boat.  Also do you know the weight of the 4-154 engine without the gear attached?  I would like to compare it to the Yanmar and the Beta weight.

If you have not found a new head, and  replace mine, I may want to sell the engine complete, no transmission.
Thanks
Jim Guthormsen
S/V Amata Marie
44 WT #34

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »
Jim, the manual says 550 lbs for the installed weight without the clutch and gear.  That does include starter, air cleaner and manifold.
Matthew

Amata Marie

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
thanks that weight is between the Yanmar (lighter) and the Beta (Heavier)So neither of them is going to save me much weight, and with my Westerbeke Generator and all the batteries, I'm already pretty heavy in the stern.
Jim Guthormsen
s/v Amata Marie
44WT #34.

raymckey

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:48:54 AM »
My 4154 recently was hard to start then, with a metallic clank, it started and ran smoothly.  When I next started it, it was a bit harder than usual to start, but once started it was running smoothly at 1500 rpm.  Suddenly it stopped running.  No clank, no sputter just was no longer running.  When trying to restart, the starter spun freely as if there was no compression. I had a mechanic look at it and he tells me the valves are no longer functioning.  He believes the motor would have to be rebuilt and he does not want to do it. The boat is located in Kemah, Texas (Houston suburb).  Thoughts?

Matthew Balch

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 11:55:23 AM »
Ray, from what you wrote it seems like a problem with the starter or a broken tooth on the fly wheel.  I would ask for a second opinion.
Matthew

raymckey

• View Profile
Perkins 4-154
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
Yes, I will get another opinion.  The starter problem or broken tooth on flywheel could explain the failure to start, but not the sudden stopping of the engine.

Thanks