Author Topic: Oct 2013 - Forum Update - Quirks and Known Issues  (Read 2210 times)

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Oct 2013 - Forum Update - Quirks and Known Issues
« on: October 25, 2013, 08:39:04 AM »
We got hacked badly in early September, and the forum was down for a few weeks and then moved to a more secure server, upgraded and changed a bit.

We tried to preserve the old forum information, but in the process of the move, we have caused the follow problems:

1. Links to previous forum posts are broken. Use the search mechanism to find old posts.

2. Pictures inserted or attached to old posts have been lost (sorry!).

3. Some/most of the old text in old posts has been truncated (cut off/lost). We may be able to rectify this problem (my part time volunteer webmaster has it on his list, but he's really busy right now).

If anyone is looking at an old post and would REALLY like to get the contents of that post/thread. I have ALL the posts before mid-June, and can selectively (manually, somewhat laboriously) restore the text to a specific post. Email me--I need the topic, the person who posted it, and the date. I only have stuff BEFORE mid-June 2013, when I made my last backup.

4. The user information for each user (little picture and footers, etc) got lost. Fortunately, we retained the user database, which made it easy to reconnect everyone.

5. No "private message" capability. I'm sure the forum supports something like that, but so far I can't figure out how to activate it. If you really need to one-on-one someone, email me at the admin -aT~ csyowners.com email address and I can try to get you the email address of the person you're trying to contact. I will try to get that added as soon as my tech gurus get some free time to coach me.

6. The error messages are very crude. I'm sure they're customizable, but again I can't find the place to customize them.

7. A user can't fully register themselves. We were/are just getting BOMBARDED with spam registrations. So I have made it so that a new user has to not only confirm their email address, but also has to be manually activated by an admin person. I think right now I'm the only admin person, but I'm trying to check on registrations at least once a day. When we go offshore in January, I'll make sure we have a couple of admins who can do this.

8. The "subscribe to forum or topic" linkage got lost. To re-establish the connection that has the forum email you when a new post is added to a whole forum category or to an individual topic, you need to re-subscribe. You can do this on an individual topic, or on a whole Category. (Easiest way is to go to the forum categories you are interested in, and in the header and footer, there's a "subscribe" link you click... once subscribed, if you change your mind, you can alway unsubscribe easily the same way).

9. The header says "Optimus" instead of CSY Owners Forum. I'm working on this.

10. The Admin interface changed completely, so I'm having to re-learn how to do everything.

11. The CSY Links (accessible from the home page) are all gone  :ohmy:   In the meantime all or most of them are on our Workshop Links page

Some really nice things about the new forum:

1. Posting pictures is easier/better. You can link in pictures from other websites (use the tool button that that looks like a picture), or upload your own using the Attach button. The limits on picture size is a little more generous (I think it's 150KB or less now).

2.  There is a user configurable option that lets you choose whether to show replies to a post in oldest-to-newest or newest-to-oldest layout.

3. There is a lot of good stuff in the background for security and etc. Our forum now is using the most uptodate software and we hope to keep it up to date, so that we can keep trying to stay one step ahead of the hackers.

4. The "recent topics" feature is nice/better than the old one.

If you run into something you can't deal with, post it on this Category of the forum, and I'll try to fix it or answer your questions.

Thanks for hanging in there through the rocky transition!!

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Thane

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Good job, Sherry. I know how much trouble this was and will be. Thanks.
Thane Gilliam
Heart of Gold
44 W/O

Warren Daniels

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Sea Notes
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:45 PM »
Sherry,
Are you going to keep all the old topic administrators on or are they a thing of the past?
Warren

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 05:59:07 PM »
Warren, I think all the old settings went by the wayside.  I have just started figuring out how to manage the forum, and if you're still up for it, I'll enable you as a moderator again.

The new forum has lousy help, so I'll try to put together a cheat-sheet for the things that moderators normally do (before head back to never-never land).

Sherry

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »
I did make some progress this weekend on a few items on my list.

1.  The heading now says CSY Owners Association instead of Optimus
2.  Clicking on the Forum link on the home page now puts you in Forum / Topic Index mode instead of Forum / Recent Topics mode.  You can still click on the Recent Topics link to get all topics that have activity in the last 30 days.
3.  The Forum Help link now gives at least a little guidance for new users.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to activate plugins that would give us Private Messaging back, but nothing I did seemed to work, so I (think) I put it back the way it was.

However, in messing around with the menu, I inadvertently caused a problem that I haven't been able to fix yet.

Forum links now have /com-kunena-trash-manager/ in the middle of them

Ie a link that used to be:  
http://csyowners.com/index.php/forum/8-forum-information-and-problems/

Now looks like this:
http://csyowners.com/index.php/com-kunena-trash-manager/forum/8-forum-information-and-problems/

That means that all emails sent before yesterday with links in them now no longer work.  And your the new bookmark for the Forum itself, which was http://csyowners.com/index.php/forum/index doesn't work anymore and now is this:

http://csyowners.com/index.php/com-kunena-trash-manager/forum/

So if you go to a CSY forum link, in an email or one you've bookmarked/favorited in your browser, you are likely to get an error like this:  404 Error

You may not be able to visit this page because of:

an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
a mistyped address
you have no access to this page
The requested resource was not found.
An error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try one of the following pages:

Home Page

You can click on the Home Page link and it will take you to the home page, then click on the forum link and it will take you there.  New emails will likely have the new/wrong link which will work only until I solve this problem!!

Sorry!!  I'm sure I can solve this eventually.