Author Topic: Chain Plates Autocad drawings in Drop box  (Read 2368 times)

Chain Plates Autocad drawings in Drop box
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:45:31 am »
I have had many requests for info on the AutoCad Drawings of the chain plates i did for our boat.  Peter Roach kindly put the files in Dropbox under: CSY 44-> Chainplates

Here is some more info (emailed to another CSY-er getting ready to do the Chainplate job):

When I did the chainplate job Kitty Hawk was in the water and I went at it alone.  It was a bear for me, bobbing up and down on the dinghy made me miss the mark a few tiimes and I hit my nuckles with a hammer.  I was using an Impact Screwdriver on the outside and a wrench wedged into the hull on the other side.  Later I decided to get some help.

Removing the rub rail was easy.  I then dug out the plastic wood filler in the bolt hole locations.  For the top bolt I took a chisel and cut out a rectangular notch in the teak trim piece the runs under the cap rail.  Later I fitted and glued a piece of teak into that notch.

Most of the nuts on my set were corroded, so I did not have any luck with my original attempt.  In the end, the nuts tended to break on their own but some had to be split with a chisel. Splitting the nuts is the best way to go, then just pound out the bolts with another round/flat end punch.  Getting at the top bolts was the hardest.  On those I used a crow bar type tool and fulcrum to press them out with lever action, then a vise grip and some torsion from the outside did the rest.

To remove the chainplates themselves, I used a zip tool to cut out the bulkhead just enough to be able to swing the plates out away from the hull to allow the bend in the tang to slide through the slot in the deck/cap rail.

Removing the book shelf box on the port side took some doing.  First find the teak plugs on the side of the storage bin and remove the screws behind them, then remove the plywood cover.  Then feel around on the back side of the box and remove the screws that hold the box to the front panel. The box then comes out of your way and you can reach the FWD port plate.

For the top nut I had to have someone hold a wrench to the nut and I banged on the outside with an impact screwdriver.  Usually the nut broke.

I have no fabrication costs, because my friend in Texas did these for me at no charge. A water jet cutting machine was used guided by the AutoCad drawings.  The bends were done carefully on a two ton break.  I polished the plated using a high speed air tool with appropriate sanding/ polishing discs.  Be careful not to confuse one side of the plate with the other, especially when it comes to doing the bends.  The opposing plate pair should be a mirror image of its mate.  The angle on the plate tongues is different depending on its location, aft, cap shroud or forward shroud.

Good luck with your project and call me if you need more advise.  Cel: 618-579-8075

Later,

Jack

Georg Bugiel

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:07:13 pm »
I am interested in the drawings - I am planning to replace mine on a CSY 37 to outside plates.

my e-mail: gbugiel@hamburg.de

thanks George

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:12:24 pm »
The original chain plate blueprints are now in DropBox. Not sure if these were used for any of the other boats besides the 44. Check it out.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it