Author Topic: Blisters in Borneo  (Read 2234 times)

Australis II

• View Profile
Blisters in Borneo
« on: June 01, 2013, 01:04:00 am »
Australis has been up on the hardstand for almost two weeks at the top NW of Borneo in a fishing village called Kudat. We've taken out all the thru hole fittings and the ball valves and have sanded the hull back to the gelcoat - not an easy thing to do in the tropical heat up here.

This is probably the first time our Antigua 44 Walkthru has been taken back to its foundations in many years so I am pleased we've got this far.

Unfortunately we found literally hundreds of blisters on the gelcoat at various sizes from a 5 cent piece to a cup width. I ground into one to a depth of approx 3mm and was sprayed in the face with a yellowy/brown sticky fluid which I know is a result of osmosis. I've dealt with this problem in varying degrees many times in the past on other yachts we have owned or assisting friends on their yachts so I'm not that daunted - just depressed a bit

Neal

Blisters in Borneo
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 05:06:50 am »
Shaun, hang in there! You sound a bit despondent in your write up, but know, we feel your pain.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
Blisters in Borneo
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 10:51:19 am »
Make sure you use the right additive with the epoxy or the blisters may come back. West Systems support is very helpful with these types of questions.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it