Author Topic: Construction photographs  (Read 7703 times)

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:36 pm »
2nd day back in Borneo and I've reglassed the port cockpit drain, redrilled and rebedded the bronze cockpit insert and repaired the port saloon window leak. This morning I'll start removing all our new electronics out from under the port midship hawser through hole above our nav desk. Then I'll do what many of you have done and heavily reglass the area around that plastic connector and hopefully that will fix the leak there once and for all.

No news from Raymarine about our brand new, but faulty SPX computer auto helm - 4 weeks and they still have not even put it on their test bed yet  :(  In the meantime another yacht in the marina here dropped in 2 spare Raymarine control heads which have a 'heading window' and I believe are a couple of generations newer than our old unit. I now have an old Raymarine 600 auto helm all mounted and connected on one side of the nav wall bulkhead and (when Raymarine finally get round to sending me a replacement SPX 10) the new system on other. If the SPX ever fails, we'll simply unplug it and plug in the standby 600.

As I'm looking at what I need to do, it occurs to me that in all the great resources in this forum, I have never come across any CSY (or Antigua) construction photos. Do any exist?

I there are any still floating about I'd love to see them  :)

Fair winds,

Australis II

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Construction photographs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:57:37 pm »
Shaun,

We don't have any original photos, but we do have some "construction details" on our website from sales literature.

http://svsoggypaws.com/AboutCSYBoats.htm

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
Construction photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:00:14 pm »
And here's another different construction diagram on Ed Marill's site:

CSY Background - Construction and Keel

Sherry
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
Construction photographs
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 06:52:43 pm »
Shaun,

Are you really in Borneo in the western Pacific?
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 01:03:35 am »
Hi Dave,

What's keeping you? We keep looking at the CSY global map hoping you've moved a bit closer!  :D

We've taken out life-time membership at Sutera Harbour Marina, Kota Kinabalu Saba, Borneo and although it might seem 'out in the boonies' - currently living in Oz its reasonably close.

The couple who previously owned Australis (formerly 'WindRose', sailed her out from the US about 4 years ago and we were fortunate to sail with them from Cairns to Papua New Guinea in company on our 33' Alajuela cutter. They carried on around to Borneo and we returned to Cairns and 12 months later they called to ask if we were interested in buying her, which we did. We've just sold our Alajuela cutter so now the focus is on Australis II.

The plan is to leave Australis II up here in Borneo for the next couple of years and just commute back and forth as we explore the South China Sea - an area that is totally new to us. Sabah is the only place I am aware of where you can keep a foreign registered vessel indefinitely without having to do the 3 month in and then go out and come back again. The marina is far cheaper than any in OZ and secure and outside of the cyclone belt. All the other live-aboards just head down to Labuan for the day on the ferry and renew their 3 month visas - it's a great, safe, friendly place.

At present I'm up here every 8 weeks or so and we're gradually migrating to moving up here on a semi permanent basis once we have sorted out our properties in Oz.

So - get a move on! and get over to Borneo - it would be great to catch up and do some exploring with you!

The Philippines are only a 2 day sail north from us and we're also keen on exploring West Papua which looks pretty speck.

Fair winds,

Australis II

Zuza

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 05:29:13 pm »
Shaun;
I have photos of my 1985 Antigua 44 hull #7 at serveral points of her build.
They are all paper photos. Still in good shape. I could send some via snail mail if you wanted.
Aloha

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:04:38 am »
Hi Bob,

That would be great as we have been unable to find any Antigua build historical data anywhere.

If you are able to scan them and send the digital files that would be fantastic and I'm sure many of the other members here would appreciate seeing them as well as I understand that there is not a lot of difference between the Antigua and the CSY in relation to build.

If not, let me know and I'll send you my mail address.

Many thanks,

Shaun

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Erie Queen
Construction photographs
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:07:40 am »
Shaun,

My 44 WO is about 75% gutted right now. If you need a photo of a specific area I would be happy to get it to you.

Mike Z.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
S/V Erie Queen

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
Construction photographs
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 09:38:44 am »
I made a couple of new folders in Dropbox for Construction photos. There is one for each boat type.

Mike - if you would be kind enough to snap a number of pictures of the CSY under construction and put them into Dropbox we would appreciate it.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Zuza

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:17 pm »
Shaun;
The Antigua was built to the same specs as the CSYs, as they used the CSY molds. At least the first 7.
John and Larry Coates started to do more custom builds with hull number 8 which had the saloon floor raised about 6 inchs to allow for more tankage. I don't know anything about the later hulls. ( John did a volume study on my hull to see if he could fit a center board ) My boat had the mast moved forward out of the saloon and was more of a sloop. ( the mast was no longer at the 40% point ) John clamed that it also removed some of the weather helm the 44 was know for.
I will be happy to send you some pics and you can do as you want with them.
Email mail me with info.

call if you want to 727 7440976
Aloha

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 12:55:14 am »
Bob Lewis sent me some fantastic photos of an Antigua 44 WT under construction in the Coates factory. Apparently pics 11 and 12 are from the old CSY plant, the others are from the Antigua plant. I'd expect they would be of interest to everyone as I can't imagine the construction process changed much between CSY and the Antigua build.

Thanks heaps for the images Bob - they are great!  :)

Fair winds,

Australis II

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 12:56:24 am »
oooppss

Craig Owings

Construction photographs
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 06:55:58 am »
Actually there

Doug Vaughn

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:42 am »
Shaun,
I don't see the pics anywhere, which folder did you place them??
Thanks for doing that,
Doug

Australis II

• View Profile
Construction photographs
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 12:23:01 pm »
Hi,

They are in a folder titled Antigua 44 Construction images.

Yes - a few people had mentioned to me that the Antigua incorporated a cored deck rather than a solid section - I was referring more to the general construction.

Fair winds,

Australis