Author Topic: Cabinet door refinishing information  (Read 1015 times)

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
Cabinet door refinishing information
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
A little bit of information: I am in the process of refinishing the cabinet doors in the forward head and shower. If you drill the plugs at the corners the doors they are simply put together with screws. If you remove the screws the stiles and rails come apart to remove the panel. I am removing the old wood grain laminate (Formica) and replacing it with white laminate. The old laminate will come off with heat from a heat gun. Then belt sand and the old adhesive and install the new laminate. Sand the teak, screw together varnish and reinstall the old hardware and you will have brand new great looking cabinet doors.

Today I am going to see if the big doors come apart the same way. I will keep you posted.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

Mad Davey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:14:38 AM »
Thanks for this post.

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Odyssey
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:35 AM »
Hi Mike,

I know it sounds straight forward, but could you also take some pictures while you do this?
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Hello Bill,

In the aft head that is what I did (Glue over) but it was a pain to get the laminate cut just right to fit between the rails and stiles. On the drawers in the aft cabin I removed the wood trim, removed the old laminate and it work out much better. I also replaced the bottoms of the drawers as the plastic sides will come apart if you are real careful.

I will take some photos and post them in the drop box. I plan on doing some work on them tomorrow.
Capt. Mike Zofchak

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 09:04:08 AM »
More door info: Tried to get the big doors apart yesterday. They do not come apart like the small cabinet doors. I think they glued and screwed the rails and stiles. I have to figure out how to get them apart as the aft head door has a rotted lower panel. Going to get together with some of my woodworking friends and figure out the best way to do this. I will update as soon as we figure this out.
Capt. Mike Zofchak

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:59 AM »
Thanks for the info Mike.
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS