Author Topic: Aft cabin book shelves  (Read 926 times)

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
Aft cabin book shelves
« on: October 18, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
Hello All,

I am at the point to install the aft book shelves. They were not in place when I got the boat. Can anyone help me on how they mount?

Thanks a bunch.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
Aft cabin book shelves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »
I just took my two out. Unfortunately I threw them away. They mount via two screws in each of the brackets (one long), a screw in the front of the shelve into the wood on the side, and a screw in the back of the shelve into the fiberglass of the transom. There is a LOT of glue holding the shelves onto the side of the cabin.

I took the shelves out because they were taking up a LOT of room in the cabin. I plan on putting in new shelves about 3" from the deck. I also took out the lasterette box and now have a BIG hatch right above my head. The back cabin is very big and a lot more comfortable. I love it. I plan on replacing the space lost by taking out the box by mounting two small dock boxes on the back deck.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Bill Bischoff

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Odyssey
Aft cabin book shelves
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 06:06:41 PM »
Hi Peter,
Did you ever get around to installing the dock boxes on deck?
Odyssey, 1979 44 WO
Lying La Paz, BCS

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Grace
Aft cabin book shelves
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:10:08 PM »
Yes I did install the dock boxes on the back deck and they work great! I love the big open air hatch above my bed! I am just getting back from a trip to the Chesapeake and I really enjoyed the air flow through the master cabin. I would definitely do it again.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Mike Zofchak

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 W/O
  • Boat Name: Buckeye Queen
Aft cabin book shelves
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Bill, I agree with Peter that removing the deck locker was well worth it. However I have not got to enjoy it while sleeping but during this refit it is sure nice for the light and air. Maybe someday I will be lying under it looking at the stars.

I posted picture of my locker removal in the drop box. Feel free to call or e-mail with any questions.
Capt. Mike Zofchak
Land Locked S/V Buckeye Queen