Author Topic: Stay sail  (Read 1753 times)

Australis II

• View Profile
Stay sail
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:58:58 am »
Back and forwards to Borneo as we refit Australis II our 44' Antigua. Current job is a complete rewiring to 240v Australian standard seeing that the powers that be here in Oz have decide that they will no longer allow importation of any vessel with a 110v system.

While that is happening I've been looking at the Staysail situation.

Australis II has a highfield lever detachable inner stay. There are some old hanked staysails aboard but these were never designed for a CSY.

I have measured up and we're getting a roller furler for the innerstay. What I need some advice on is the shape of the inner staysail. Are there any sail plans in existence that we can pass onto the sailmaker? I'm assuming its going to have a high foot much like the Headsail with the large spreaders that most 44' Walkthru's come with.

Our other yacht (not bragging here - just have no intention of selling Mico for a song  :P ) is a 33' double ender Alujeula cutter with both headsail and inner stay sails with low foots that run almost parallel with the deck. This configuration enables us to get fantastic pointing ability with a flat airfoil when fully cranked on.

Now I realise that we are never going to be able to point Australis II as close to the wind as we do with Mico but even so, what is the best cut for an inner stay as we will be doing a fair bit of windward sailing.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions most welcomed,

Fair winds,

Australis II

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
Stay sail
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:05:03 am »
Shaun,

I had 3 new sails built to high quality for our CSY 44 Walkthru tall rig in 2005 by Supersailmakers in Ft Lauderdale, Fl.
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm