Author Topic: About to replace salon ports... how?  (Read 2612 times)

Trekka

• View Profile
About to replace salon ports... how?
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:01:10 AM »
I want to replace the 6 salon portlights on my 33. Does anyone know what I am in for? I mean, how are they held in? Should I undo the bolts around the trim plates? What kind of caulk should I look for on install?

I think the current plastic is rather thin, like maybe 1/8th inch. I could be wrong, thought it was more, but having polished them several times I do not think them very thick (which is fine for me as I am a Chesapeake sailor).

I plan to start with one of the forward facing, as it will be rectangular with no odd angles. But just wonder what to expect when I start unboilting, and would love some insight into the procedure.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
Stephan,

Are you talking about ports or fixed windows?

I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Rhapsody

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
I want to replace the 6 salon portlights on my 33.

Looks like ya mean windows.

Why do ya want to replace them windows?

To look outside or to have yer neigbors look in...?

The windows are not needed for navigation or for any safety function.

Put curtains on the inside, or panes on the outside to stay out of the limelight.
Replacing the windows is expensive and not sure about the benefit...  ???

Trekka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:50 AM »
I cannot see through them. They have deteriorated to the state of being as if frost coated. I did not buy a boat with wrap around portlights like this with the idea of not seeing through them. They must go.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 08:29:44 AM »
Stephan,

I agree, you need to be able to see out of the windows. I am just too curious to sit inside a boat with all of the ports and windows covered. It is a bit like living in a cave. That is one of the things that attracted me to the CSY boat. They have a lot of light below!

I have never done the windows in a CSY 33, however, I have redone fixed ports in other boats. One piece of advice is to not let yourself be constrained by the current look and form factor of the windows installed ~ 30 years ago.

I have used dark smoked Plexiglas attached on the outside of the doghouse with pan head screws. I typically cut out the Plexiglas with nice rounded corners and use a router on the edges to make it look professional. I use a piano hinge to make sure the spacing of the holes on the edge of the Plexiglas is spaced correctly. I open the hinge all of the way and hold it against the side. This allows you to get the hole spacing as well as the space from the edge of the Plexiglas. I over drill the hole (make it larger than the screws) so it does not crack. I use windshield rope (autozone) to seal it and DisolveIt (Ace) to clean up any windshield rope that squeezes out. I typically paint the area behind the Plexiglas that is part of the dog house to make it so you can't see it through the Plexiglas.

You can make these types of windows cover multiple opening or design any pattern you like. You could even make the entire front window one piece. Post something = before you try this and I will explain how to bend Plexiglas.

Make sure you get the Plexiglas that has the UV protection (usually only one side) and you can get a scratch protection coating as well. I use GE Ploymershapes (has a new name now - something like Sabiet. You can look it up on the web).

I have also removed the metal frame on other boats and really opened up the area a LOT. I typically trim out the interior of the frame with a plastic or wood molding.

I have attached a picture of one I have done. You can see some of the windshield rope squeezing out on the side. I trimmed this off and then cleaned it up with DislolveIt. This was done on a 1983 Hunter 34. When I completed the project people would ask "what type of boat is that". It is amazing how this easy project can radically change the look of the boat.

I am sure others on the board can tell you how to swap out the lenses on the fixed ports if you don't want to go this route.

Trekka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
Peter, Thanks for the ideas. What is a "piano hinge"?

Whatever I do I shall document the way I did for my Perkins water pump and cooling system rebuild over on Cruisers Forum.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:53:59 AM »
A piano hinge is a long hinge with holes drilled at an equal interval. It is very strong and is often used on doors and such. I believe it is used for the hinge on the top of a piano and thus the name. Here is a website for one http://www.cabelas.com/boating-hardware-aluminum-stainless-steel-continuous-hinges.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=737100&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=995084C8-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:22 PM »
Stephan,

You might get some benefit from Dave's writeup about replacing our main cabin windows.
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
BTW, we used Lexan (vs Plexiglass) for the strength of it, with a sheet of lexan inside and another outside, and the whole thing through-bolted through the hull (this is covered in Dave's writeup on our website)

After 6 years, we had developed a couple of drips on the inside of the boat (at the corners mainly).
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/

Douglas Paddock

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
We just bought the 44' WO Banjo.

Peter Roach

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
I put in New Found Metals ports in the rear cabin of my 44WO. They were difficult to get into the hull (to say the least). You will need to cut the fiberglass some to get them to fit. The CSY 44 is very thick so plan on @ 1 day per port light. New Found Metals has a template that helps somewhat. It is worth using. You pay for it when you get it and they refund you when it is returned.

The ports are operate fine; however, the bronze is already looking a little pink. Perhaps their stainless port lights are better. The self opening is too cool!

Warren Daniels

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Sea Notes
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »
Doug,
I had the same problem with water in the aft birth.

Sybarite33

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
Stephen,

I replaced the forward windows in my 33CSY about 3 years ago at Edgewater, MD.

Rhapsody

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
I added outer panes of 3/8" dark plexiglass all around the "house".
On the Starboard "front" window I cut in a clear piece to make it easier to look out at night. Also installed a compass just under the window and a remote control for the autopilot to make the boat into a poor man's pilothouse..  ;D

In theory it should work in bad weather and in areas with light traffic, but in reality I carry the dink on the foredeck whenever I cross the Gulf stream and if the dink is in the water, I am anchored and drinking beer.