Author Topic: Handling of a CSY 37 short draft, tall rigging..??  (Read 1805 times)

alecadi

• View Profile
Handling of a CSY 37 short draft, tall rigging..??
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:00:09 AM »
Hi, I've read that this would be the "worst combination" for the CSY 37.

I can understand that a short draft means less possibilities upwind. And that a tall rig means more heeling and leeway. But is it so difficult to handle? or dangerous? (I don't see why)

I suppose that by reefing earlier the mains'l you could overcome the leeway and heeling? And on the other hand a tall rig will be a good thing in light air?

Anybody has experience with short draft/ tall rig?

Thanks

Alec

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
I have a CSY 44 with 5' draft and tall rig (63'). I love the combination. The only problem is you tend to go sideways more when you are going into the wind. "Gentlemen don't go to wind".

Seriously it sails well you just have to be aware of the set to leeward. I can get into all of those nice ports in the Bahamas without worrying about the tide.

As for safety, I believe the two configurations weigh the same. I understand the 'biting' of the keel can add somewhat to stability but for most practical purposes the two configurations should be somewhat similar.

The tall rig is like any other sail plan. It can be over powered. Reef early and often. I have a roller furling main so reefing is easy. Also, I am putting in an electric winch to take away all excuses for not reefing.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

alecadi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
Thanks a lot
What kind of roller you have on the main: in mast? boom? what about the cost of the transformation?
Tks
Alec

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:46:09 PM »
My roller on the main is a Hyde Stream Stay and was on the boat when I got her. It is a behind the mast roller furling system. I like it a lot!
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

alecadi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 03:56:41 PM »
I had on Sunday my first ever sailing trial on a CSY: a 37, shoal draft and tall ring.

A short sail under 15 to 16 knots of apparent wind.

We put the full main sail up and 2/3 of the genoa...

I have to say I've been impressed by the reaction and the way she was going... really

My experience is quite large on 37's in a Jeanneau Sun Odissey... but here I was really impressed
The boat kept her track very easily.. Slowly heeling when reaching and good under all points...

Only remarks would be that under that configuration the reaching upwind was not spectacular in term of angle to the wind: perhaps because I was new to the boat or perhaps the resusts would be better with full genoa and stays'l put.

But what a sense of security on this boat. I think the danger would be to be overconfident!!

Alec