Author Topic: New Roller Furling  (Read 1928 times)

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
New Roller Furling
« on: December 31, 2009, 01:06:11 PM »
I noticed that Defender has their Profurl roller furling systems on sale for @$1500 for the big fore stay on the 44' http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|77896|299746&id=609415 and $700 for the inner stay. This appears to be about half price. After a little research I found that this is a manufacturer discontinued unit. I was seriously looking at the Profurl for my boat since I have the old Hyde Stream stay that came with the boat on both jibs.

While doing the research I was offered a Harken Cruising 2 roller furling for approximately the same price http://www.harken.com/press/Harken-CruisingFurler07.php. I am familiar with the Profurl and it generally works well. I don't know anything about the Harken.

I would be interested in opinions on both systems.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

RHoodJr

• View Profile
New Roller Furling
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:09:34 PM »
Peter, I too will be replacing our Hyde Stream stay. 

Practical Sailor, a few months ago did a comparison on the most popular models and found Harken to be a top performer.  Some other good info and opinions available at www.cruisersforum.com and Seven Seas Cruising Association.  Seems that most sailors prefer the unit they bought.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:47:31 AM by Soggy Geek »

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Grace
New Roller Furling
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:50:01 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on the PS article. I got my hands on a copy of the PS article and saw that Harken was among the top performers. I made my decision and chose to go with the Harken for the front stay. I will investigate replacing the stay sail after I see how the Harken performs.

One of my major criteria for choosing the replacement was the diameter of the drum. The stream stay has a small drum that gives less mechanical advantage. I have a tall rig and a BIG headsail so I wanted as much help as possible. I will let you know how it works out.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

MyBlueHeaven

• View Profile
Re: New Roller Furling
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Hey Peter!  I realize this is an old topic, but would be interested to know how that Harken has held up after 7 years in sunny Florida.  Did you wind up replacing the stay sail furler with a Harken too? I have a short stick so I may not need as much purchase as you do, but would be interested to know the models you are using and if you would recommend them for a short stick 44.

Chip

• View Profile
  • Boat Name: Chip
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
Chip has older Harken furlers on both jibs. The furling units themselves have held up well with only the occasional replacement of the Torlon balls. The foils are a different issue. One of my foils has roll pins to hold it together. The pins are prone to backing out. The other foil had screws which worked well until the fore stay chainplate failed. Unfortunately replacement foil parts are no longer available. I replaced the foil with the new style however this required some machining of the torque tube and the halyard swivel.

Soggy Geek

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Cruise Around the World with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Soggy Paws had 2 identical Profurl 42's (bought by Dave to replace the original equipment).  He also upgraded the Yankee foresail to a 130% genoa (way oversized, in my opinion!).  After 10 years, 40,000 miles and LOTS of under-stress roller reefing of the big genoa, they were still going strong.  Just as we sold her, we had the bearings seize on the genoa furler, but we were able to find new bearings in the city here in the Philippines (reasonably-priced, from a bearing shop, not from Profurl), and rebuilt it in a morning, by ourselves.

Harken is probably good, but we can't say enough good things about our Profurls.

Sherry
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:43:49 AM by Soggy Geek »
Soggy Paws the CSY has been sold but not forgotten!
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/