Author Topic: Perkins 154 raw water pump.  (Read 1165 times)

John Duncker

Perkins 154 raw water pump.
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »
I am looking at a 44WO with a Perkins 4-154. The raw water pump is fitted to the nose of the crankshaft in front of a large 3 groove pulley which propably used to drive the refrigeration pump.
From PACIFICO

Is this the standard location?

If so should there be some kind of anti spin fitting or does it just rely on the hoses to stop it turning?

One of my criteria for a safe boat is the ability to change the raw water impeller quickly and in a seaway. I do not see how I could do this as access is pretty limited.

Any suggestions as to how I could achieve my goal?

Peter Roach

• View Profile
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WO
  • Boat Name: Grace
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Install a Sherwood or Jabsco pump and use the pulley to drive an external pump. You might even be able to reuse the refrig mount.

My raw water pump is attached to the port side of the engine. If you want pictures PM me.
I tried having a bad day once but I did not like it

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
John,

As Peter said, the standard old style Perkins 4154 engine had the Jabsco raw water pump mounted on a bracket on the port forward corner of the engine, above and in front of the fuel injection pump.
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm

John Duncker

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Yes it is Pacifico I am down on the Rio Dulce working my way through the boat.

I would want to return it to a conventional belt driven fixed mount set up ASAP. I would never be able to run the engine without worrying about the pump seizing tearing the hoses loose etc.

I will ask Gary about it.

John Duncker [down on the Rio Dulce and in danger of slowing down from Island Time to Rio Dulce time.]

Soggy Paws

• View Profile
    • Cruising with Soggy Paws
  • Boat Type: CSY 44 WT
  • Boat Name: Soggy Paws
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:00:18 PM »
John,

If your purchase completes and you are looking for a raw water pump try Depco Pump www.Depcopump.com in Clearwater, FL.
CSY 44 Walkthru #35, Soggy Paws
Soggy Paws the CSY has been SOLD
http://svsoggypaws.com/CSY/For_Sale.htm